Close window
Emergency Information

If you have an emergency, call 911 or 362-5111.

If you do not have an emergency but would like an officer response you can call 362-5115. Or you can view our contact page here

Close window

City of Rancho Cordova Rancho Cordova Police Department
  August 9, 2012

Shooting Suspect Found Dead After Standoff

On August 8, 2012 shortly after 5:30 p.m., Sheriff’s deputies and Rancho Cordova police officers responded to calls of shots fired at the Extended Stay America property in the 10700 block of White Rock Road in Rancho Cordova. Information from callers was that a man had discharged a firearm into one of the rooms, and then fled on foot in an unknown direction.

Upon arriving at the scene, officers determined that nobody had been shot. It was not immediately clear whether the gunman had retreated into one of the rooms at the property, or fled the scene prior to officers’ arrival. Information was gleaned by officers, which suggested a particular room that the suspect was in. A perimeter was established around that room, and additional resources were requested to respond. 

Members of the Sheriff’s Special Enforcement Detail (SED) and Critical Incident Negotiations Team (CINT) responded to the scene, along with numerous other patrol units. Investigation determined that the gunman was a thirty-seven year old who had been staying at the motel for at least the past few several days. It was believed that he and another resident had been involved in an altercation that preceded the shooting. Officers learned that the gunman stood outside the door of another room at the property, and fired several gunshots through the window and into that room occupied by a man, woman, and toddler child. None of them were wounded by the gunfire.

Over the next few hours, numerous attempts were made to contact the suspect inside his room via telephone calls and P.A. announcements, all of which were unsuccessful. Due to the possibility of an armed and barricaded subject, many of the residents at the property had to be evacuated, and were displaced from their rooms for the entirety of the evening.   

With attempts to call the gunman out having failed, the decision was made to breach the point of entry into the room. A robot device was deployed inside, in an attempt to locate the gunman. As this was being carried out, one of the SED team members saw a man lying unresponsive inside the room. A team of officers entered the room after the robot, and discovered the male adult inside. He had sustained a gunshot wound and was pronounced deceased by a tactical medic at the scene. Investigators were confident that the deceased male was the suspect who had been seen firing a handgun into another room several hours earlier.        

The motive for this incident remains under investigation. Anyone with pertinent information about this case is asked to call the Sheriff’s Department at (916) 874-5115.

The name of the deceased subject will be released by the Sacramento County Coroner’s Office, after notification has been made to his next of kin.