RCPD’s Crime Suppression Unit (CSU) created a bait package program in 2015. The bait package program is a proactive policing approach to prevent thefts and protect our residents.
RCPD was the first agency in the Sacramento region to roll out the program in response to national statistics that show there are higher occurrences of package thefts during the holiday season. The program is an example of intelligence-led policing, as well as a proactive approach both to preventing theft.
CSU places bait packages at homes throughout Rancho Cordova in partnership with residents. The packages look like a typical package residents would receive, but they include a GPS tracker. If a package is taken, CSU can track the package to its location.
RCPD is providing tips to ensure your package is not at the mercy of thieves:
- Sign up for email or text notifications, so you know when your package is delivered.
- Have your package delivered to the post office, UPS, Amazon Locker, or your office.
- Require a signature upon delivery.
If you have a package stolen, please follow these steps:
- If UPS, FedEx, OnTrac or another company drops off a package on your doorstep and it is stolen, file a report through RCPD's online reporting system by clicking here.
- If a package or piece of mail was delivered by the United States Postal Service, was placed into a mailbox, and then was stolen, file a report with the postal inspector by clicking here or calling 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777).